The next project for the charity collection I’m working on (here’s an earlier post with more explanation, if you missed it) is a hat for K, a five year-old girl who requested clothing in pink.
The yarn is Lion Brand Babysoft Pompadour, because it’s almost impossible to find yarn for grown-ups in pink. The pattern is the free Swirl Hat, which I am really liking.
For one thing, it creates ribbing which helps make the fit more flexible. For another thing, you get a lot of action out of repeating one simple sequence of stitches (K2, YO, K4, K2TOG) for 6.5″. So wonderfully mindless that even knitting a hat in fingering weight went by quickly.
I plan to deviate from the pattern in one respect, though: I’m adding a pompom at the top. Because I feel that if you knit a pink hat for a five year-old girl, it should really have a pompom.
I finished plying up the last of the Gotland fiber from a yearling sheep named Ruby. This yarn could have been better if I was less inexperienced. But it is what it is.
Here is the story with this yarn: I filled the first bobbin with the same drafting method I had been using before: long backwards draft (which makes woolen-spun yarn).
Then I realized that the fiber had a nice luster to it. And the best way to preserve that luster in the finished yarn is with a short forward draft (to make worsted-spun yarn).
I proceeded to fill up the other four bobbins with short forward draft. I had to admit, the singles looked pretty nice.
When it came time to ply I thought, “Aw, no one will be able to tell if I ply the woolen-spun single with two worsted-spun singles.”
But I was wrong.
You can totally tell.
Oh well… lesson learned.
This batch of yarn totals 524 yards/263 grams. And with this latest addition, I am officially Out Of Room For Yarn.
I scaled down my yarn storage a few months ago, and I am totally at capacity now. In fact, maybe a little bit over capacity. After trying to cram these new skeins in, I gave up in frustration and set them on the coffee table to “deal with them later.”
(There are a lot of things lying around here for me to “deal with later.”)
Therefore, I’m going to dedicate my crafting time this week to finishing that cross stitch project. Hopefully I can knit myself out of this stash dilemma within a week or two!
Over the weekend I finished the basic blue hat for O, a 12 year-old boy who requested clothing in blue. (Click here to read more about this charity knitting project.)
Jared Flood’s Turn-A-Square has become my go-to pattern for a basic beanie, particularly for men. The four decrease lines mean that the hat folds up neatly into quarters, which makes it easy to stick it in a pocket.