I had to rip the Vancouver Fog mitts back a surprising amount, given how small a project it is. A good portion of that ripping back was due to my own inattention.
(If you look at the picture in the last post about these mitts, you can see my final error: I forgot to knit the 8 rows plain at the end. Thus the second mitt is about two inches shorter than the first in that picture. I hate having to pick out a nice bind off.)
The rest was due to the modifications I made.
Overall, I thought this was a successful project in the end. The cable looks fancy, particularly to non-knitters. The length is about right, and it takes slightly less than one full skein of Cascade 220. (I ended up with 30 grams left over.)
* I used the Old Norwegian/Twisted German cast on. This has quickly become my favorite cast on method. It’s only a teensy bit more complicated than the Long Tail cast on, but it’s much more stretchy.
* I used the Suspended bind off. This is a good, stretchy-but-not-too-stretchy bind off for something like mitts.
* I used Cascade 220 on #7 needles. Ordinarily I would knit Cascade 220 on #5 needles. But I have learned to go up a size for a cabled project in Cascade 220, otherwise it ends up with the drape of cardboard.
I had to kind of guess at the number of stitches, since the pattern does not include gauge (grumble). I ended up using the same number as the standard size. This seemed about right, if maybe a little on the large size.
* My biggest modification: I worked the body of the mitts in K2P2 ribbing. The pattern calls for the mitts to be stockinette (except for the cabled part). I wanted a more flexible, forgiving fit.
* Next time, I’m not sure I would bother. The ribbing caused a lot of problems when increasing for the thumb gussets.
In order to best preserve the look of the ribbing flowing into the knit stitches for the thumb, I ended up placing the gussets too close to the cable pattern. This had the effect of pulling it slightly to the side instead of centering it properly on the arm.
In hindsight, the 8 rows of ribbing at the top and bottom is probably plenty of fit customization. Who cares if they are slightly baggy in the middle.
* I did not follow the instructions for reversing the cable. Actually I should say that I tried to follow the instructions, but I botched it so badly that I had to rip back and re-knit about four inches.
I just didn’t get the instructions for cable reversal, so I gave it up and just knit two identical mitts.