I’m pretty sure I could have knit both mittens out of the amount of yarn that I had. It would have been a fun bit of stunt knitting. And imagine the suspense! Suspense is good for blogging.
In order to determine this, I would have had to pick up all the stitches for the thumb and knit 14 rounds. And… I didn’t want to. Let’s just say it’s not enough, and work from there.
I don’t feel too bad about ripping it back. There are a few things I’d like to change, like the positioning of the thumb.
And honestly, the Bella’s Mittens pattern really DOES produce a very long mitten. Earlier today I asked a friend to model it for me. After seeing it on her, I was reassured that knocking two repeats off the cuff will still leave plenty of mitten to snug up under a coat sleeve.