I admit to being generally indifferent on the subject of increases and decreases. Some people get worked up about right-slanting versus left-slanting, and I think that’s awesome. Truthfully, most of the time I just do KFB or K2TOG regardless of what the pattern specifies.
I’ll even confess to using one or the other when decreasing or increasing on a pair of socks. Granted the toe of a top-down sock looks nicer if you pair K2TOG with SSK on each side of the foot. But I just can’t be bothered. And I never look at the toes of my socks, anyway. I just merrily K2TOG at all four points and call it done.
In the case of the Urban Necessity mitts, I’m actually not sure what the pattern specifies. That would require me to cross-check “M1″ with the stitches key, and I didn’t print that part out. Naturally on the first glove, I just went with KFB.
I’ve never had a problem with KFB, but for some reason they came out looking terrible on this project. This is just regular old Cascade 220 at 5.5 st/inch, like usual. But even as indifferent a knitter as I was a little horrified at the result.
That’s KFB increases at the thumb gusset on the far left. These pictures were taken post-blocking, so the stitches look about as nice as they ever will.
On the far right I busted out my next favorite increase, which doesn’t seem to have a proper name. On the left needle, you pick up the stitch below, put it on the needle, and knit it. TECHKnitting has a great tutorial here.
Sometimes, the increase really DOES matter!