I solved the problem with the leaky chicken coop several weeks ago, but I wanted to be sure before I blogged about it. We have had plenty of rain in the last few weeks, and the coop has been staying dry, so I guess I can tentatively consider the problem solved.
The solution was to make the pitch of the roof steeper. The roof I designed had about a 5 to 10 degree pitch. That was well and good for summer, but not enough to properly shed the kind of rain you get in November in the Pacific Northwest.
That big hump in the middle is what I added. It’s enough to shed the rain, instead of letting it puddle up and seep through the tarp. (Turns out a tarp is pretty waterproof, but not completely waterproof.)
I accomplished this additional pitch by using a roll of grody chicken wire left over from the first chicken tractor. (The one that got kicked apart by giant dogs on its very first day of service.) I just kind of squashed it into a semi-triangular shape, and tucked it under the tarp.
I was so proud of this chicken tractor when I finished it. It was so perfect. Now it is a collection of ad hoc fixes. The entire setup must be at least 30% kluge at this point.