I finished knitting the Reflecto-Mitts. Now it’s just a matter of getting the reflective tape embroidered on the back in a satisfactory manner.
I continue to be fascinated with the way this Metlon RetroGlo does exactly what it’s supposed to do: reflect.
And with the flash…
Except it looks a bit wonky with the embroidery like that. I have an idea for picking it out and trying it a different way. This stuff is not particularly easy to work with, but it’s worth the trouble.
Apologies for the cardboard box lying on the floor in the background beside the wood stove. It may look like garbage, but it is actually Cinnamon’s personal suite.
The box came several weeks ago. I set it on the floor, it got accidentally knocked over, and Cinnamon basically scuttled into it like a hermit crab and took up residence.
She spends the better part of every day in there, inches from the wood stove, sound asleep. She even slips into REM sleep, which is surprising, because she is usually very guarded about her sleep.
(I can tell because when she does, you can hear her paws scrabbling on the cardboard.)
It is not a stealthy home, and it’s not tall enough for her to stand up in, but she has claimed it as her own (for now).
Last night I ripped back the mitten cap on one of the mitts and reknit it on the correct side, kicking myself the entire time.
(You can still see the weird line of stitches that had previously been picked up for the cap. I assume they will sort themselves out over time.)
Then I kicked myself again after I had finished, because I used a different method for decreasing at the top, and I liked it a lot better than the one the pattern specifies. (You can see how that looks in the picture in the last post, kinda.)
Which means now I am going to have to rip back the other mitten cap and re-knit it, too. Only the top half, luckily.
I have had a lot of bad luck lately when it comes to knitting and yarn purchases.
For example, I bought a skein of Patons Classic Wool in “Lemongrass,” which is a peppy chartreuse. “This will be excellent for a pair of convertible mitts to wear while cycling,” I thought.
Then, after I was already about 85% done with the mitts, I found actual neon green safety yarn. If I had only waited a week!
I couldn’t have known when I cast on with the Patons, but still, it stung.
Can you spot the problem? It is not subtle. I didn’t find it until I washed them and laid them out to dry, just now.
What’s frustrating about this is that I went to great lengths, when I started knitting the fingers, to make sure that I was working one left and one right mitt. But apparently I was not as careful when I cast on for the convertible mitten cap, and created two left-hand mitts instead.
Once they finish drying it should be a simple matter to rip back the mitten cap and re-knit it on the right side. Still, though, my knitting time is so precious these days, it really stings to have to throw a few hours of work out the window.
I have a huuuuuge workload for the next few months, so I’m bumping Sims Sunday posts down to an every-other-week schedule. Much more manageable for me, both in the time I spend playing, and in the time it takes to write up the posts. I hope everyone understands!